Dear Families of NPHS Students,
If your child plans to participate in Co-Curricular Sports and/or Activities (Spirit Cheer, Dance Team, or Marching Band/Colorguard), please read this letter. If not, you do not need to continue.
All student-athletes, as well as students who participate in Spirit Cheer, Dance Team, and Marching Band/Colorguard MUST have an up-to-date physical/sports clearance before they are allowed to try out, practice, or participate. (*Spirit Cheer and Dance Team can continue with the current tryout process, but will require a physical/sports clearance before being allowed to begin participation and practice). Physicals/sports clearances are valid for 1 full calendar year from the date of the exam. Please verify the date of your child’s last exam.
As of today, June 17, the CVUSD District Office has allowed activities to resume June 22. All of our fall sports are expected to return to limited practices on June 27. In addition, some sports have an off season program that practices during the summer. Typically, in May, the NPHS Athletics Department has held two Athletic Clearance Day fundraisers where we partnered with the Newbury Park Exer Urgent Care. However, due to COVID 19, we were unable to host the event this May, and now many families are left to schedule appointments on their own, which may be difficult to schedule.
Therefore, schedule a physical/athletic clearance AS SOON AS POSSIBLE if:
- Your child’s physical has expired or will be expiring soon
- Your child participates/plans to participate in any of the following:
- Fall sports: Cross Country, Football, Girls Golf, Girls Tennis, Girls Volleyball, and Boys Water Polo
- Sports that have an off season program that practices during the summer (ask your coach)
- Marching Band/Color Guard, Spirit Cheer, Dance
You are welcome to schedule an appointment with your child’s doctor, go to an urgent care center, or see another medical practitioner. Go to nphsathletics.org/athletic-clearance/ for the mandatory form and complete instructions. All physicals/sports clearances must be submitted electronically. Please make sure that you select the 2020-2021 school year when registering on athleticclearance.com.
You do NOT necessarily need to schedule an appointment or need a waiver at this time if:
- Your child’s physical has not expired or will not be expiring before any tryouts/practices for selected sports
- Your child participates/plans to participate in winter or spring sports that do not have summer practices.
If you have a current/valid physical:
- Create/update your profile for the 20-21 school year following the directions located at nphsathletics.org/athletic-clearance/.
NPHS has two tentative Athletic Clearance Day dates set in early August, and we will send out more information on how to sign up if interested. Please note: Sports Clearances should not replace your child’s yearly complete physical from their primary care doctor. Please continue to see your child’s pediatrician who checks growth, pubertal development, school progress, mental health, drug screening, required vaccinations, etc.
Assistant Principal Athletics
Newbury Park High School